Most people would say their car is one of the most valuable assets they own — if not the most valuable. However, some people make it downright easy for thieves to drive off in their pride and joy.
At INW Insurance Group, we don’t want you walking out your door to an empty driveway or leaving the mall only to find broken glass left behind in your parking space. Use caution to avoid these five common mistakes.
- Leaving your car running … and unattended. We know it can be hot in the Arizona sun, and nobody wants to wait in a hot car while it cools down. However, a thief certainly wouldn’t mind the heat as he’s driving away in your car while you’re finishing that cup of coffee in the morning. If your car is running, you should be in it. Period. Even if you’re just running over to the ATM to get some cash or dropping off the mail.
- Keeping a spare set of keys inside the car. Law enforcement agencies say this is a great way to turn a car prowler into a car thief. They’re already breaking into your car to get a phone or laptop, so what do you think they’re going to do when they find a set of keys? They’re not going to drop them off on your porch with a nice note, that’s for sure.
- Placing valuables in plain sight. It may seem simple, but we’ve all made this mistake. You’ll just be in the store for a second, so who cares if you leave your cell phone on the front seat? Or items from your other errands in the back seat? Be smart — if you have to leave items in your car, put them in the trunk or hide them as best you can. And do it before you get to your next destination.
- Leaving your car unsecured. The best thieves can work wonders with a window that’s left open even just a crack. And even the worst thieves can steal a car that’s been left unlocked, with no alarm set.
- Assuming nobody would want to steal your car. Think your car is too old or too undesirable for a thief to bother? Scrap metal is worth money, so never assume that your car is safe — even if you think it’s just a “junker”.
Keeping thieves away helps to keep everyone’s insurance costs down, so avoiding these five common mistakes helps save you money and stress. Stay safe, not only on the roads, but in the parking lots as well!
At INW Insurance Group we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need while simultaneously using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Give us a call us at 480-626-0797 or send us an email at email@example.com. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what’s important to you is protected!