Is it Mandatory to Have Flood Insurance in Mesa AZ

The legal requirement to purchase flood insurance is not= legally required unless it is specified by the terms of your mortgage. Very few households in Arizona, or most of the country, bother to get flood insurance. Although, it should be considered that flooding is still a problem in some areas of Arizona and there have been past disasters. In any case, you should consult with INW Insurance Group if you are interested in a flood insurance policy in the Mesa, AZ area.

Why Get Flood Insurance?

Flooding may seem like a minor concern in such a dry state but it can still happen due to strong downpours and inadequate drainage systems. Since homeowners insurance won’t typically cover flood damage, this is why you need to purchase a separate policy. Unfortunately, some may assume that their home insurance will cover it so they don’t bother seeking flood insurance.

What is Covered?

First of all, your home and its foundation will be covered up to a certain amount ($250,000 is a typical figure). The electrical, plumbing and climate control systems are also included. Other permanently installed items, like flooring, carpeting, or cabinets are covered. If your home is wrecked and debris removal services are required, that may be included as well.

Your personal items inside the home are also covered by most policies. This may include your electronics, appliances, furniture, and collectibles up to a certain amount.

Consider your risks and living situation and figure out if it is wise to take out a flood insurance policy. Many that are hit by a flood may not expect it and will have to cover their own damages by not being prepared. If you decide to purchase a policy and you live in the Mesa, AZ area, give INW Insurance Group a call.

I am Borrowing my Friend’s Car, Am I Covered?

Most people have an idea of what’s covered and not covered under their various insurance policies. But here at INW Insurance Group, we get a lot of questions about borrowing or loaning a car. Now that the weather is warming up here in Mesa, AZ, you might be looking to borrow your neighbor’s truck for a home-improvement project or a trip to the local landfill, we thought it was a great time to provide a little more information. Generally, auto insurance coverage follows the vehicle rather than the driver. So in most instances, as long as the owner of the car has insurance, it’s covered even if someone other than the owner is driving it — as long as they have the owner’s permission.

It’s important to note that there are some exceptions to what is called “permissive use” coverage. Permission must be given by the owner, unless the borrower has a reasonable belief that they can use the car. However, the borrower cannot give permission to someone else.  If your teenager allows one of his or her friends to drive your car around Mesa, your coverage likely won’t apply. Coverage might also be denied if the borrower operates the vehicle in a negligent or criminal manner. If the borrower is using your car for business purposes, your personal auto policy likely won’t cover that either. If you have a regular long-term arrangement to either borrow or lend a car, the borrower should probably be added to the owner’s personal auto policy. Those who don’t own a car, but often borrow one, might also consider “named non-owner coverage,” an endorsement that provides bodily injury and property damage liability, uninsured motorists coverage and more.

Ultimately, it’s usually safe to loan your friend your car for occasional errands or projects. And the same goes for borrowing a car. Just make sure it’s for “normal” use. You’ll want to confirm that the car has coverage and that your car insurance, whether you’re the owner or borrower, will apply. Feel free to give INW Insurance Group a call if you have any questions — after all, you don’t want to wait until after an accident to get answers!